Thursday, March 1, 2012

How I Do It

Easily, the question I am most often asked is: "How do you do it, Susan?"  I usually have a less than adequate answer such as "I don't know, I just do."  I know that's not the thoughtful answer they might have been expecting, but the other answer is long and complicated and most of the time I don't even know.  Also, the truth is, that even though I do it (whatever it is), I don't always do it well.  This morning, however, I feel like all the balls in the juggling act of my life are still in the air so it's as good of a time to figure out an answer.  Without further procrastination, here are a few pieces of my strategy.

#1.  Have a plan.  Some people would call this discipline.  Others would call it being anal.  Regardless, I find the only way for me to get things done is to map it out.  I live and breath by my calendar.  Actually, my calendars.  I know where I'm going and where I need to be.  I used to know what we were going to eat for the week, now we know what we're going to eat for the whole month.  So much time is saved when all I have to do is look at the menu hanging on the refrigerator door and say, "Jambalaya tonight," instead of hum-and-hawing in front of an empty fridge for 15 minutes, then opting to eat out which takes another 30 minutes to decide, 10 minutes to drive there, and over an hour later to enjoy.  Thanks to Dave Ramsey, we also have planned out how we are going to spend every cent for the rest of the month, too.  In my opinion having a plan is freeing.

#2.  Accept help.  This was (honestly, still is) a difficult pill for me to swallow.  If you haven't gotten the picture that I tend to enjoy being in control just reread #1.  However, there is 0% chance I could be where I am, or do what I do, without the army around me.  Right now, streaming through my mind like a slide show are the faces of people who make my life possible.  From the nurses at work to my better half at home they are the reason I can get out of bed in the morning.  Even right now, my mom has my sick little boys for the morning so I could get some things done.  (I'm not sure blogging was what she had in mind.)  But truthfully, this should be bold and in 72-point font because it is that big of a necessity!

#3.  Prioritize.  There is a list of "correct" priorities I could spout off, and then there's the list of "true" priorities obvious by the choices I make every day.  What do I spend my time on?  Where does my money go?  What do I think about?  This is where the rubber meets the road.  This is where I admittedly fail over and over again.  I'm finally back in Bible study and am realizing how starved for it I've been.  My job already consumes most of me, and forcing myself to say "no" to the extra stuff is painful but oh-so needed.  Thankfully, it's getting easier for me to turn the t.v. off, but that hasn't always been the case.  And trying not to replace it with the computer takes some heavy duty conscious effort.  Also, there are still things on my list that haven't made it into the game yet (exercising being one).  Therefore, I still have a lot of work to do, and accountability to have.

#4.  The big picture.  It's no mistake that God has me reading the book of James at the moment.  He reminds me that my life is a mist.  A vapor.  Here today, gone tomorrow.  I can plan, prioritize, and do all I want only if it's His will.  Ouch.  Feel the sting.  I'm not in control, and thankfully, I'm not.  He is.  I get up in the morning thankful for the blessings I have and content that I'm a very small piece of a much bigger plan.


Well, maybe that answers the question a little better than "I don't know" although I feel like it still isn't adequate.  In summary, as Paul says, "I have learned [or, in my case, am learning] to be content whatever the circumstance... I can do everything through him who gives me strength [and who gives me two of the sweetest little boys, too!]"

No comments:

Post a Comment