Monday, August 22, 2011

It's Garlic

Have you ever been wandering through the produce aisle in the grocery store and looked at some of the stuff there?  There are definitely some weird things, and I for sure don't know what everything is or what they all taste like.  Who knows, maybe if I did I would find my new favorite food.

Lately, Jason and I have been trying to eat, and be, more healthy.  That means I've been doing more shopping in the produce aisle.  The unusual problem I'm finding is that it takes me a lot longer to check out.  It isn't because of a price check or because of coupons, and it's not because the scale or scanner is malfunctioning.  The hold up every time is that the checker doesn't have a clue what I'm buying.  She  pours over the produce code list for minutes, which in a grocery check-out line is an eternity, hoping to have a revelation and find it before giving in and calling over the manager, which takes even longer.  Some think I look trustworthy enough to ask me what the green thing in the bag is.  Some just guess.  Once I almost paid $132 for a watermelon, so watch closely.

Yesterday, I felt especially bad for the lady behind me in line.  The checker was a teenage boy who clearly hadn't been through the produce aisle in a while.  He breezed through the apples and bananas, but then came upon ginger root.  I don't blame him for asking for help on that one.  Next, he held up my onion.  At least he knew it was an onion but needed to clarify if it was white, yellow, or purple.  The bagger helped him out with the yellow squash, and he finally found the garlic on his code list.

On the way home I got to thinking.  After all, doesn't a trip to the grocery inspire everyone?  In the medical world I have the pleasure of seeing what our love of convenience food is doing to our bodies.  It isn't pretty.  Our family is just as guilty as the next, but I found it sad that we're getting to a point where we don't even know what garlic or squash or, heaven for bid, an onion is.  After this day, Owen's next word lesson may come from the produce aisle.

1 comment:

  1. We've been on the same quest for the last year or so (making slow progress). My goal last fall was to learn how to cook different types of squash. I failed, so I am reinstating that goal this fall. This summer I have been overcome by zucchini and cucumbers from the local gardens, so I have been getting creative with those.

    Good luck with your healthy endeavors!

    ReplyDelete