Saturday, July 30, 2011

Lucky Seven

I've never really been a big believer in lucky numbers, but I can entertain myself a little while and imagine that this year is going to be extra awesome.  After all, it is lucky number seven.  Seven years ago, on July 31, 2004, I started a wonderful journey as a wife.  A lot of people may dust off their wedding album on a day like this and reminisce about a few very expensive, yet memorable, hours, but I got so caught up in the memories that I kept right on rolling through the years that followed.  Here's a little bit of that walk down memory lane.

Now look at that handsome couple!  Jason all dressed up in a tux, and a lovely lady in a bright white dress on his arm.  Now don't kid yourself, I will definitely not be trying to squeeze back into that outfit anytime soon.  I did just have a baby, you know.  Seriously though, what a happy day!
One year later and Jason was already trying to convince me that history is fun.  Yes, that is us sitting on a wagon.  It makes me laugh.  Look how young we look!  It wasn't that long ago, but, my goodness, we look different.  As much fun as playing pioneer was, we did actually celebrate our first anniversary a little less rustically.  On our college-sized budget we treated ourselves to a weekend trip to Omaha and enjoyed a glass of wine at a nice restaurant overlooking the river.
If you thought we were crazy for moving at the end of July this year, I hate to tell you that we've done it before.  Our gift to each other for our second anniversary was a new address.
The third year was a little more adventuresome.  After finishing my first triathlon we climbed into the car and drove to Texas.  We spent the night in downtown Houston, and Jason still hadn't let up on the whole history thing.  That is a picture of him with George Bush, not his wife, on our anniversary.  Go figure.








The next year Jason finally won, and I planned a fun vacation around Nebraska (and into South Dakota) filled with plenty of historical stops.  To this day, it is still one of my favorite trips.  It makes me anxious for the days that the boys are old enough to enjoy summer family vacations with us.  We are so going to be the family with fanny packs and matching t-shirts!
Our fifth anniversary was the last when our family was just the two of us.  Things are totally different now - and totally wonderful!









Last year was another good one.  I guess we just know how to have fun.  We spent the weekend in the beautiful Nebraska City.  (And for the record, we did make a historical stop on this trip, too.)  It was such a perfect anniversary that I can remember what we ate for breakfast, but I don't remember what we did with Owen.  Hmm.





Seven wonderful years!  I'm lucky, I know.  This year, with a newborn, our celebration is going to have to stay a little closer to home.  Even so, it will be fun just to be in good company.

No comments:

Post a Comment